Conversation Partner Program
For the last 10+ years, SEMA Foundation has been bringing people together through Ramadan Iftar Dinners. Due to the limitations of our current global health crisis, this year we are joining with our friends at Shepherd of the Hills United Church of Christ to facilitate online meeting programs with different themes starting on April 23, through May 23.
The idea is simple: We will encourage community members to find a conversation partner during this time of physical distancing via PHONE or VIDEO CHATTING, with the intention that once our physical distancing restrictions are lifted, we can perhaps transform these “relationships” into in-person interactions, whether it’s a dinner or sharing a tea/coffee time.
We believe and hope it will ignite many new friendships.
- Here are the themes our community members are ready to have conversations about:
- What is occupying your heart and mind nowadays?
- Upcoming Ramadan
- Your hobbies
- Your definition of fun activities
- Family and identity introduction
- Stay healthy and active
- Enjoy new hobbies
- Parenting during “stay at home order”
- Discuss how to improve in home cooking
- Practice English speaking (Beginner-Intermediate-Advanced Level)
- Self-checking our relationship with God/Allah/Creator/Supreme Power/Nature
- Weekly cuisine discussion
This initiative aims to provide space for people of different religious and cultural traditions to get to know one another, better understand each other, and contribute to our community through peace…
Of course, these meetings/gatherings may continue to take place over a delicious meal or at least a cup of tea or coffee after our quarantine days are over.
We believe this unique program will help us upend presumptions about one another in our community and alleviate the threat of hate crimes. With your help, we can open our arms and help our communities share commonalities, celebrating joy and happiness instead of differences, negativity and hatred.
We hope you will consider becoming a part of this great initiative that will lead to a growing pool of open hearts in the Phoenix area.